Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Learning Journal #19 (2/29)

Class on Monday initially seemed to me to be completely irrelevant to my project. However, in the spirit of my previous learning journal post, I decided to change my attitude :)

I don't think there are many ethical concerns in library research, but there may be some as I discuss religion with clergy(/other people?) and as I look for physical representations of man's relationship with God and the universe in churches, cathedrals, etc. In my interviews, it will be important that I show respect for the religious beliefs of others, that I don't hurry to press my own opinions on them, and that I then take what they say and represent them accurately in my research. I will make sure that they know my purposes in asking about their opinions, and that they are okay with being referenced in my work. If they prefer not to be named, or decide that they want no part in my research, that will be something I will have to respect. As I view buildings, it will also be important that I respect them as places of worship. It may not be appropriate to photograph what I see;  I may have to rely on my ability to describe my observations, to write them down on the spot, rather than getting a long-lasting copy for myself.

Ultimately, I think the main principle of ethics is respect of others. Whether it's privacy, personal desires, or religious beliefs, it's important that, as visitors to their portion of the world, we show them perhaps even more respect than we ourselves would expect from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment