Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Learning Journal #10

The experience of participant-observing was a fascinating one for me. Spradley's point that we tune out the world around us was a statement that is absolutely true of me most of the time, and I was surprised to see how much there was to notice about what I was watching. The way people walked, what they looked at, what they carried, whether they looked nervous or calm, whether they were going to study some more before taking their tests, or just go straight in... In spite of the rather inevitable dullness (let's be honest here), it was actually quite interesting.

I like to think that there's some aspect of natural curiosity that will enhance my observational skills, simply because everything around me in London will be new. And yet, I don't intend to use this potential truth as an excuse not to hone my observational skills in London. I want to get a feel of London-ness, and the more that I can pack into my brain through detailed observations, the better I'll be able to accomplish that. I really liked the metaphor suggested in class on Monday that we approach observation as if we are doing research for a film. What are the little details that make this interaction/place/moment unique? Those are the things that I think will make my experience in London much more memorable. 

Although I don't see participant observation playing a huge role in my actual research project, I still see myself using those skills extensively while I'm in London. I know I've said it a million times before, but [cue Aerosmith] I don't wanna miss a thing! I want to take full advantage of being there, and participant observation skills are just another tool in my Make-the-Most-Out-of-This-Experience Toolbelt. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment